You are here
Entertaining in Autumn
Entertaining in Autumn
Autumn is in full swing and there’s so many events coming up that is sure to fill your social calendar! Just as the seasons change, why not shake your social events up a bit and try something different, like throwing a dinner party for your mates. Let us take the stress out of planning with our helpful shopping lists for what to buy food and drinks wise. With Mother’s Day approaching on 13 May, we think a bottle of wine is a foolproof gift. Take a look at our suggestions to help you pick the perfect one for mum. Plus, this month you have the chance to win a double pass to the Phillip Island 500 Supercars Race. Read on to find out more!
Life gets busy trying to fit everything in, so why not host a dinner party with a bunch of mates and catch up on what they’ve been up to. Add a few drinks and you’ve got yourself a party. Read on for a few of our favourite recipes to ensure your dinner-party-ready!
Pork chops with apples and Pure Blonde Cider pan sauce
4 crisp red apples, sliced
1/4 cup sage, fresh
2 tbsp olive oil
4 pork chops, bone-in
3/4 cup Pure Blonde Cider
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 bunch spinach
1. Heat oven to 200°C.
2. Line a large baking tray, and toss apples, sage and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Roast for 10 minutes.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the pork chops and cook until golden brown - 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and transfer the chops to the baking tray with the apples.
4. Roast the chops until they are just cooked through and the apples are tender - 5 to 6 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, return the skillet to the heat and add the cider and ginger and simmer for two minutes.
6. Transfer the pork chops to plates and toss the apples with the fresh spinach, placing on the side of the plate. Finally, drizzle the pork with the pan sauce.
Chocolate rice pudding with rum and coconut caramel
35g raw cacao powder
80ml agave nectar
½ tsp vanilla bean paste
100g white rice
Coconut chips, toasted, to serve
Rum & Coconut Caramel
2 tbs coconut spread
2 tsp Baron Samedi Spiced Rum
1. Place cacao powder in a small saucepan. Whisk in 125ml of milk until smooth and combined. Add the rest of the milk, agave nectar and vanilla to the pan. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the rice, reduce the heat to low. Simmer, stirring regularly for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
2. For the rum and coconut caramel, whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth and combined.
3. Divide the rice pudding into four tall glasses. Drizzle with the caramel mixture and sprinkle with coconut chips.
And for the table top…
A dinner party is more than just the food you’re serving. Find our shopping list below for the best Autumn-themed decor to take your dinner party to the next level.
⃞ pumpkins and seasonal flowers - an easy but sophisticated table setting
⃞ rosemary twigs - these double up as both table decorations and a natural autumnal scent
⃞ coloured felt - a perfect, affordable way to wrap your cutlery up in seasonal colours
⃞ vase - fill with dried twigs or autumn leaves from the street
⃞ cake stand - cover a cake stand in seasonal fruit such as pears and apples for a unique centerpiece
And no dinner party is complete without drinks…
For a warming drink that is sure to complete any evening, this spiced ginger beer punch will really get you in the Autumn-feels.
500mL Dry Ginger Beer
1 orange, juiced
1 lemon, juiced
1. Place the mint, Campari, Lemonade, dry ginger beer, orange and lemon juice in a big jug with plenty of ice.
2. Stir and serve with slices of lemon and orange.
If cocktails aren’t your thing why not try a bottle of Pepperjack Shiraz, which pairs perfectly with pork. There’s always a few die hard beer fans at the party, so throw some Coronas or Victoria Bitters on ice to keep everyone happy!
Treat your mum this Mother’s Day to a bottle of something special. We have pulled together a great selection below to help you pick the perfect present for your mum’s particular taste.
⃞ Pepperjack Shiraz
The fruity flavour is perfectly balanced by some lovely pepper and spice, with hints of liquorice too. Ideal for sharing a glass with the ‘can talk to about anything’ mum.
⃞ Upside Down Sauvignon Blanc
Crisp and clean with gooseberry and tropical scents, this one is perfect for cracking open with the ‘fun’ mum!
⃞ Samuel Wynn Shiraz
With notes of red cherries, wild berries and sweet spice, this wine is rich and spicy - perfect with a cheeseboard, and for the ‘life of the party’ mum.
⃞ Yellowglen Yellow
Dry, with citrus and melon flavors, this wine is perfect for enjoying in the last moments of sun for the day. Great to crack open with the ‘healthy mum’ who enjoys a cheeky beverage now and again!
The Bottle-O Racing Team
And if you reckon you could squeeze one more event into your social calendar this month, we’d recommend you head down to The Bottle-O in Grantville between 5-6pm on the 19th of April for your chance to win a double pass to the Phillip Island 500, thanks to The Bottle-O Racing Team. It’ll be a day to remember, that’s for sure.
So for all your needs this Autumn, come say G’Day to The Bottle-O.